Tibet is the Climate Crisis that most people have never heard of. A crisis that China tries to hide because, under China’s occupation, information is rigidly controlled and Tibetans in Tibet have no freedom to speak out.
Tibet’s Climate Crisis has the potential to affect us all and it must be urgently resolved, with Tibetans being part of the solution.
From the Himalayas to the Amazon and Pacific Islands, we are in this Climate Crisis together. Tibetans stand in solidarity with the Global Climate Strikes to seek climate justice and find lasting solutions. Only drastic action – taken NOW – will stop at least two-thirds of Himalayan glaciers being lost.
With the Climate Crisis deepening across the globe, local, traditional and indigenous communities need be listened to and engaged in finding solutions. On the fragile Tibetan Plateau, this must be the Tibetan people.
- Global governments must substantially increase efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, in line with an international goal of limiting the global average temperature rise to 1.5°C.
- Frontline communities must be included in the search for solutions by incorporating traditional and indigenous knowledge.
- Respect for human rights and development must be included in future Climate Crisis agreements.
- China’s displacement of Tibetan nomads from the grasslands must halt immediately, and Tibetans must be allowed to return to their homelands as stewards of the Tibetan Plateau.
- China must halt all land uses that threaten the fragile ecosystems in Tibet, halt its programme of building mega-dams and stop destructive mining practices.